As a rule, such a question arises when a refrigerator, which served you faithfully for many years, breaks down. The compressor has stopped, the unit is silent, there is no cold. What to do in such a case? What is cheaper – repair or refrigerator replacement?
In order to make the right decision in this situation, you need to determine the severity of the breakdown and the cost of the upcoming repair. The easiest thing to do is to immediately call a specialist for diagnosis.
Calling a repairman and diagnostics
In order to determine the cause of the malfunction and the cost of the upcoming repair, the master needs to come to the customer. In order to determine the cause of the breakdown, he needs to perform a sequential series of actions. After the breakdown is identified, you need to choose the best way to the refrigerator repair.
There may be options here. If a complicated and expensive overhaul is needed to restore your refrigerator to working order, you will need to negotiate its cost with the customer.
Repairs vary in both complexity and cost.
What types of repairs there are
Refrigerator repair can be divided into two types. It can be a linear repair or an overhaul.
Linear repairs include all simple types of work. This is when welding is not needed and the work does not affect the unit and the freon circulation system in the refrigerator. For example, replacing a relay, loop, thermostat, reed switch, timer, sensor, fuse, fan, and sealing rubber are all examples of linear repairs.
Major repairs involve tampering with the circulation system and any work with freon and welding. Such work may include replacing the compressor, evaporator, condenser, capillary tube, filter, search and repair leaks, and clogs. Overhaul is a more time-consuming and labor-intensive work. It is much more expensive than a simple linear repair.
When repairs can be expensive
- If freon leaks in the foamed part of the housing, the work can only be carried out qualitatively in a stationary workshop. To do this, you need to take your refrigerator to the workshop. And after the repair bring it back. In this case, to the cost of the repair itself will be added transportation costs and payment for movers.
- Replacing the evaporator, condenser, and compressor are all examples of expensive work.
- There are situations where there are several problems with your refrigerator. For example, there is a freon leak along the evaporator in the foamed area of the refrigerator cabinet. On top of this problem, the compressor has burned out. Fixing such a leak is a pretty expensive repair. In addition, you still need to replace the compressor. This results in a tidy sum.
- The electronic control of the refrigerator when it breaks down is not always repairable. And replacing the board for some models is very expensive.
- Replacing the inverter compressor and control module is also an expensive overhaul.
What is more profitable – to repair the old refrigerator or buy a new one
As a rule, before starting any overhaul, you need to perform calculations. To do this, it is necessary to calculate the cost of all forthcoming costs. This is the price of the work itself, as well as the cost of materials and spare parts.
Only after that you can decide on the advisability of such repairs. If the total cost of the work to be performed is known, you can make the right decision. You need to determine what is more profitable – to repair the refrigerator or buy a new one.
Usually adhere to the rule that if the price of repair is more than half the cost of a new refrigerator, then there is no point in repairing it.
In this case, it is better to refuse repair. It is easier to buy a new refrigerator.
There are general criteria for evaluating such situations
- If you have an expensive brand-name electronic refrigerator and it’s not old, you don’t have to give up on repairs. Even by replacing the compressor or fixing a leak in such a refrigerator, you will be able to use it for many more years.
- If you have a simple drip model refrigerator and the product is more than 10-15 years old, you should think – to repair or not. Perhaps in this case, it is more profitable to buy a new refrigerator.
We hope that the article was useful for you. After reading it, you will make the right conclusions – to repair or replace a refrigerator.